[SDL] Window/surface dimensions mismatch problem

Daniel Phillips phillips at arcor.de
Sun Jan 12 18:57:01 PST 2003

Greetings,

I have SDL+OpenGL window resizing working fine, except for one problem.  The
short decription is: SDL always wants SDL apps to specify their initial
window size, and to somehow know what that size should be.  As far as I can
see, SDL does not provide a means for an SDL app to create its initial window
at a size requested by a Window manager.

Now for the long version:  Sometimes a window manager has its own ideas about
what size a window should be.  Actually, this is nice for users, as they
generally do not like it when an application window re-appears in a different
place than they last placed it, or at a different size than they last set it
to.  In KDE, the ability to teach this behaviour to applications that don't
understand such niceties is provided through the "store settings" option in
the window menu.  When this option is set, instead of creating the
application's window at the size specified by the application, KDE's window
manager creates the window at a size and location it stored previously.

An SDL app with a resizable window doesn't play nicely with this KDE feature,
in that it will go ahead and create the surface at the size it thinks is
right.  This may not be the size of the window that the window manager
actually created, which results in a nasty mismatch that doesn't go away
until a window resize event is received, probably generated by an irritated
user.

What to do about this?  I don't know, this seems a little messy, and I'm not
prepared to make a concrete suggestion or offer a patch at this point.  Have
I missed something obvious?

Regards,

Daniel