[SDL] How to use use hardware MIDI (oss or alsa) in SDL_Mixer

Stephen Anthony stephena at roadrunner.nf.net
Thu Jan 9 10:49:01 PST 2003

Is there any way to do this?  Several games I've tried (most recently, the
icculus ROTT port) have MIDI music, but it won't work unless I've
installed SDL_Mixer with the Timidity patches, as well as Timidity
itself.

I have a SB Live with hardware MIDI, and I have OSS sequencer and ALSA
sequencer support.  The MIDI music from these sounds better than from the
software wavetable version.  Can I use the hardware instead?

Steve