[SDL] RE: Multiple SDL

Maruri Leire LMaruri at ikerlan.es
Wed Jan 8 00:31:01 PST 2003

For WIndows you could use "DirectShow".

-----Mensaje original-----
De: sdl-request at libsdl.org [mailto:sdl-request at libsdl.org]
Enviado el: viernes, 27 de diciembre de 2002 21:01
Para: sdl at libsdl.org
Asunto: SDL digest, Vol 1 #624 - 10 msgs

Message: 2
From: "Jeff Hansen" <sqrammi at hotmail.com>
To: sdl at libsdl.org
Date: Thu, 26 Dec 2002 16:15:08 -0700
Subject: [SDL] Multiple SDL

I'm a developer trying to intregrate SDL into my program, but I'm beginning
to question the feasibility of what I want to do.

Basically, I'm creating a multi-platform application in which I would like
to display video windows and play MPEGs within them.  From what I
understand, SDL was targetted for single-window and/or full-screen
applications, and it was NOT made for creating a simple overlay window
within a Gtk/Java/MFC window to play a video on (which is exactly what I'm
trying to do).  I can position the video window just fine in Linux with X
windows but I can't find out how to position the video window in Windows.
Also, I would like to show more than one video window in my application at a

time (i.e. There's a video in the background, the user clicks a button to
load another video, and the new video is previewed in the new top window).

Does SDL have the capability to do this, even with a hack?  Or is there any
other library which can give me a hardware overlay window in which I can
show a video in?  I've researched these topics quite extensively and I'm
wondering if anyone else has given up and just used something else (which is

multi-platform mind you) or just done it with lots of hacks.  Any input will

be appreciated.

-Jeff Hansen
// Insert comment here