[SDL] DirectX 7?

Loren Osborn linux_dr at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 30 12:46:08 PDT 2002

On Mon, 2002-09-30 at 12:15, David Olofson wrote:
> > On a 300mhz PII, my own C++ game in development (2D, platform
> > type thing, featuring pixel sprite collision, 16 bit colour) runs *way*
> > too *fast* unless forcibly delayed. So I'd imagine such a game would
> > run about right on a high end 486/low end Pentium. Indeed, for simple
> > 2D games (Pacman, Space Invaders and the like) one can use C or C++ on
> > even a 20mhz 386. I know, I did :-)
>
> Great, but I'm into fullscreen scrolling shooters and the like, and I
> want good looking 640x480 graphics. ;-)
>
> I also happen to believe that the countless potential players that *can*
> play a 3D acceleration based 2D game are very likely to prefer that to
> anything s/w rendered.

Hmm... I hate to make a shameless plug for a game from my former
employer, but I think you might want to check out Zax...

It's a 640x480 - 800x600 2D scrolling shooter in a really ornate
graphical environment...  It uses no 3d acceleration, but still gets
reasonable framerates on FAIRLY modest hardware... (the minimum system
specs call for a PII-233)... It isn't SDL based, it shows what can be
done w/o an accelerator...

Take a look, let me know what you think...

I think the problem is mainly something already mentioned in this
thread...  Most computers have a typical useful life of about 6 years...
so, many computers still in common use are that old...  6 years ago,
3dfx accelerators did exist, but they were really only for hardcore
gamers... and were quite few and far between... I don't even think they
were availible yet in pre-built systems... (Also, most consumers will
never buy an upgrade card, because they neither know, nor want to know
how to open their machine...)

I really think it's too early to release a 2D game that requires 3d
acceleration... If however you aren't planning to release for another
year or 2, it might be more worthwhile... I don't see any reason to not
select between standard 2d and 3d-accelerated 2d...

Just my 2 cents,

-Loren