[SDL] DirectX 7?

David Olofson david.olofson at reologica.se
Mon Sep 30 12:46:01 PDT 2002

On Monday 30 September 2002 18:22, Alan Wolfe wrote:
> dont forget that Doom 1 ran on 486's :P

And the latest ZDoom can achieve some rather impressive frame rates even
in high resolutions - but still, this is without texture filtering and
with only very basic blending.

A new game with that kind of graphics wouldn't sell. I suspect it
wouldn't even interest many players if it was *free*. Well, except for
the few that prefer Doom to newer FPSes because of the graphics, rather
than gameplay and atmosphere. ;-)

Going back to 2D shooters, I tried the demo of Raptor, and would have
bought the full version - but the frame rate was so low that I could
hardly see what was going on! I tried it on various machines way faster
than the recommended spec. Tried Linux with X and fbdev, and Windows.
Tried all documented switches. But there was just no way to get a
sensible frame rate out of it. Fast moving objects were jumping rather
than flying, and everything looked blurred. I just can't seem to percept
that kind of "animation" properly, so I couldn't enjoy the game all that
much.

Now, if it had supported OpenGL with sub-pixel accurate smooth scrolling,
I would have bought the game, even at a significantly higher price. In
fact, *real* 320x240 support and the engine making full use of the frame
rate would probably have been enough - but Raptor seemed be hardcoded to
20 fps or something...

In short, Raptor did not scale at all, as far as I could see. It just ran
"fine" on the lowest end machine, and that was it. Why?

.- Coming soon from VaporWare Inc...------------------------.
| The Return of Audiality! Real, working software. Really!  |
| Real time and off-line synthesis, scripting, MIDI, LGPL...|