[SDL] DirectX 7?

David Olofson david.olofson at reologica.se
Mon Sep 30 07:49:01 PDT 2002

On Friday 27 September 2002 06:51, Patrick McFarland wrote:
[...]
> > So far it is working like a charm. I'll check if I am allowed to
> > share the source, but anyway, it isn't difficult stuff, I can post
> > sample binaries if anybody here is interested to take a look.
>
> Eh, yeah, very small textures would be nice (like, whatever the minimum
> is)

There is no minimum in glSDL... (There might be a minimum for OpenGL, but
that's not an issue, as glSDL just uses the part of the texture it needs
anyway. This is where "multiple surfaces on one texture" should kick in,
BTW; another TODO.)

> But the thing is, splitting an already predrawn surface up is bad.

Why? glSDL does it all the time, or it would have to use *insane* texture
sizes (unsupported by OpenGL) for S(o)Font font surfaces and the like.
(Yes, the fonts in Kobo Deluxe are chopped up by glSDL as needed to fit
them in the smallest possible square texture.)

> Make each spite and tile a texture, and use opengl directly to do
> stuff.

Yeah, but then you don't have anything that runs Direct3D, or without 3D
acceleration...

> (Yes, Ive said this a couple times, but its the only solution I
> can think of that would allow you to use hardware acceleration
> effectivly.)

What's the big deal with a few quads more or less...? It doesn't even
break texture filtering, if you're into that. (You probably know that
virtually every consumer 3D card in excistence will tesselate everything
to triangles. Same "problem" - which really isn't, unless you use vertex
color modulation and stuff on quads.)

.- Coming soon from VaporWare Inc...------------------------.
| The Return of Audiality! Real, working software. Really!  |
| Real time and off-line synthesis, scripting, MIDI, LGPL...|