[SDL] DirectX 7?

David Olofson david.olofson at reologica.se
Mon Sep 30 07:13:00 PDT 2002

On Friday 27 September 2002 03:34, paul at theV.net wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 27, 2002 at 01:05:28AM +0100, Neil Griffiths wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Of course. It's not hard. SDL would just have to split up the texture
> > into 256x256 (or whatever) sized textures without your knowledge.
> > You'd have your normal surface and wouldn't have to know about it.
> > You can look at the DirectGraphics examples I linked to earlier today
> > to see how that work or take a look at David's glSDL code.
>
> As I checked last time, I think David's glSDL does not cover all cases
> of the surface splitting at the moment, for instance, very large
> surfaces seems not supported.

That's just because I've been lazy. :-)

> At my work, I've coded some algo that splits an arbitrary surface to
> its optimal textures, in other words, it always tend to use the largest
> texture possible. Besides, it also assembles small surface pieces
> together onto a single texture in a "smart" way to maximize texture
> usage.

Well, that's exactly what we need, preferably in a generic form, so that
it can be used for both OpenGL and DirectGraphics.

> So far it is working like a charm. I'll check if I am allowed to share
> the source, but anyway, it isn't difficult stuff, I can post sample
> binaries if anybody here is interested to take a look.

Both would be very interesting. If you're allowed to share the source,
I'd be happy to integrate it into glSDL.

.- Coming soon from VaporWare Inc...------------------------.
| The Return of Audiality! Real, working software. Really!  |
| Real time and off-line synthesis, scripting, MIDI, LGPL...|