[SDL] DirectX 7?

Neil Griffiths n.griffiths at virgin.net
Fri Sep 27 05:50:00 PDT 2002

Hi,

PM> Yeah, that was my whole D3D issue in the first place. Now, having a completely
PM> done opengl rendering pipeline, yeah, you get massive speed.

There are two ways to do it. Bind a surface to a texture. That's fast.
We can see that. The other way is, as you say, having a rendering
pipeline. More complex to handle, but faster. But we can do that with
DirectGraphics (not D3D) too. So what - has your opinion changed now
or something?

PM> Well, 3D cards started with 4 megs iirc, so are you sure you are going to use
PM> more than 2-3 megs of graphics on the screen at once? If you are, you might
PM> wanna make fallback software rendering routines.

He was talking about texture size as in the limit of 256x256 on
certain cards, the main culprit being the Voodoo series.

As a matter of interest, the first 3D card for the PC (the Diamond
Edge) came with 2MB, the ViRGE came with 2MB and so did the Voodo,
though shortly after came out with 4MB.

PM> You can, but its slow. If you can, make sure you can make it a texture or
PM> something. (Even keep a local buffer of the texture, and manipulate that,
PM> and have a seperate routine read the buffer and make a texture of it
PM> periodically)

No, because your texture would be bound to a surface. SDL would have
to manage re-uploading the texture after a change though, but this
could be done, for example, after either a SDL_Flip(),
SDL_UpdateRect() and so on.

Neil.