[SDL] DirectX 7?

Patrick McFarland unknown at panax.com
Fri Sep 27 05:02:01 PDT 2002

On 27-Sep-2002, paul at theV.net wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 27, 2002 at 01:05:28AM +0100, Neil Griffiths wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Of course. It's not hard. SDL would just have to split up the texture
> > into 256x256 (or whatever) sized textures without your knowledge.
> > You'd have your normal surface and wouldn't have to know about it. You
> > can look at the DirectGraphics examples I linked to earlier today to
> > see how that work or take a look at David's glSDL code.
>
> As I checked last time, I think David's glSDL does not cover all cases
> of the surface splitting at the moment, for instance, very large surfaces
> seems not supported.
>
> At my work, I've coded some algo that splits an arbitrary surface to its
> optimal textures, in other words, it always tend to use the largest texture
> possible. Besides, it also assembles small surface pieces together onto
> a single texture in a "smart" way to maximize texture usage.
>
> So far it is working like a charm. I'll check if I am allowed to share
> the source, but anyway, it isn't difficult stuff, I can post sample
> binaries if anybody here is interested to take a look.

Eh, yeah, very small textures would be nice (like, whatever the minimum is)
But the thing is, splitting an already predrawn surface up is bad. Make
each spite and tile a texture, and use opengl directly to do stuff. (Yes, Ive
said this a couple times, but its the only solution I can think of that would
allow you to use hardware acceleration effectivly.)