[SDL] DirectX 7?

Nick Whitelegg bssnrw at bath.ac.uk
Fri Sep 27 04:28:00 PDT 2002

> NW> Surely SDL makes programming games on Linux (and Windows) relatively
> NW> easy??? Without it, using raw X or the Windows API, yes it would be
> NW> difficult, but it would be difficult on Windows too.
>
> Yes, but getting fast graphics and decent sound without break-ups and
> access to high-accuracy timers - things you really need for games -
> are really tough to do in Linux. It's not designed for that. And then
> you have issues with threading and so on...

I suppose it really depends what sort of game you're interested in. I'm
interested in writing updated (e.g. 16 bit colour) versions of the old
games of the 1980s which used to run on Spectrums and the like.
Experiments so far suggest SDL on Linux is just fine for such purposes...
Plus of course, the existing free 2D games on Linux written with SDL which
seem fine to me...

> That's not what the FSF are there for though. They're not telling
> people what spec the software would run on (which limits the amount of
> software that you'd be seeing if they did BTW), they're saying that
> software should give people freedom.

True, I was thinking of the more general "Linux ethic" which includes not
just GNU but also the idea of being able to use lower end boxes. Luckily
most free Linux software will run on low-to-middle range memory specs
(32/64) although developments in the specs of things like Kylix are a bit
worrying...

I guess I use as my guideline the lifetime of a typical PC before it
finally bites the dust. This seems to be about 5 or 6 years. Therefore you
should really, ideally write for PCs manufactured early 1997 onwards...

The same goes for OSs. One person said Win95 is "7 years old". But that's
not so much the issue. The issue is when Win95 was last shipped with new
PCs. That was a mere four years ago. I know that as my PC came with Win95
and it's four years old, it was about the time 98 started coming in.

Nick