[SDL] DirectX 7?

Nick Whitelegg bssnrw at bath.ac.uk
Thu Sep 26 23:55:01 PDT 2002

> Need I mention that Linux is a server OS, not a desktop OS?

It's both. Right now I'm typing this on my home PC, running Linux, which I
don't use as a
server :-)

 It's not
> designed for games - thus the difficulties that many people have
> programming games for Linux and why DGA is coming out etc etc.

Surely SDL makes programming games on Linux (and Windows) relatively
easy??? Without it, using raw X or the Windows API, yes it would be
difficult, but it would be difficult on Windows too.

> The FSF is not about making things work on old hardware. It's about
> providing good software for free. There's no clause anywhere that says
> "It must run on a 486sx-25" or anything.

Such egalitarian principles should extend to running on lower end
machines. By lower end I don't mean really over the top, like 386s, but
certainly higher end Pentium Is, and 32 or 64MB memory. Why should I have
to throw away money on upgrading my system because of lazy, inefficient
programming?

Nick