[SDL] DirectX 7?

Patrick McFarland unknown at panax.com
Thu Sep 26 06:13:01 PDT 2002

On 26-Sep-2002, paul at theV.net wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 26, 2002 at 08:42:11AM -0400, Patrick McFarland wrote:
> >
> > Its not faster. And it never will be faster. Well, maybe with Nvidia who
> > really doesnt put much time into their 2D stuff. 2D is slower done with
> > textures because you have to push 4 (or so) textures 30+ times a second.
>                                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Why is it so? Multi-texture or am I missing something important?

depends on the size of the surface, and the max size of the texture the
card can support. Obviously you cant fit 640x480 on a 256x256 texture, so
you have to split it up.

> > AGP wasnt ment to handle that. Try using OpenGL mode with ZSNES. Its slow
> > as hell. It was a bad idea what Microsoft did, and I dont think anyone
> > realizes that. You obviously dont.
>
> In my own experiment, the test/testsprite.c runs 4x faster when I
> ported it over to OpenGL and use texture as surfaces. Or maybe I
> am just another guy use Nvidia cards??

No, what Im talking about is make the whole final surface first, THEN upload
it to opengl textures. thats what directdraw does with d3d.