[SDL] DirectX 7?

David Olofson david.olofson at reologica.se
Thu Sep 26 05:42:01 PDT 2002

On Thursday 26 September 2002 13:23, Neil Griffiths wrote:
[...]
> I'd love to see where you get your numbers from. People who play games
> will nearly always have fairly modern hardware. Those who don't won't
> care that SDL will be dropping back to GDI which Sam has already said
> SDL will be doing.

It might be better if it dropped back to DX3 - but then again, anyone
that actually cares could just contribute a backend for it, if it's that
important...

> 2/5ths of the SDL userbase are not going to be using Windows '95. Most
> of the SDL userbase will be made up of Linux users and programmers.

Good point. And we either have prefectly fine OpenGL support, or
basically no acceleration at all. Same situation, really; DX8 or GDI -
OpenGL or Xlib/fbdev/<whatever>.

> The majority of the rest will be made up of emulation fans and games
> players. All of these will have reasonably up-to-date hardware and
> software. That's pure logic - and I'd love to see you back up your
> claims.
>
> Basically, you should take advantage of current technology, not stick
> to the old days because you know how to use DirectDraw. There's a good
> reason for rendering to textures. It's fast on pretty much every piece
> of graphics hardware since 1996.
>
> Get with the times. And for people not with the times, they have GDI.

Right. There's only one thing I'm worried about: How do you take
advantage of the power of OpenGL and DX8 while still maintaining the same
API for 2D APIs and software rendering?

The obvious way is the way of the current glSDL; just don't provide
anything new but raw speed. glSDL even deliberately "breaks" surface
alpha on RGBA textures the same way SDL does, just to be compatible.

The other way is to figure out a reasonable feature set for "advanced
2D", and make sure that there's a software fallback for every feature
added. Some things (like sub-pixel accurate blitting) could simply be
ignored when there's no acceleration, but transformations and blending
effects aren't that easy to fake...

.- Coming soon from VaporWare Inc...------------------------.
| The Return of Audiality! Real, working software. Really!  |
| Real time and off-line synthesis, scripting, MIDI, LGPL...|