[SDL] 2D rendering poll, status + addition

David Olofson david.olofson at reologica.se
Thu Sep 26 04:37:00 PDT 2002

On Thursday 26 September 2002 12:08, Patrick McFarland wrote:
> For most linux users, anything under 640x480 isnt acceptable because
> most XFree drivers dont support anything under that.

I haven't see one that doesn't support just about any resolution so far.
However, there rarely are modelines for sub 640x480 modes in distros -
but that's an issue with distros rather than XFree or it's drivers.

> Abuse for SDL
> pixel doubles everything to stretch because of this (instead of
> displaying at a native res)

Sounds like a bad idea to me, unless it's optional...

> 320x240 was accptable once. If you are trying to get that 386 Retro
> feel, you want that. (Of course, you do have to stretch to 640x480)

...unless you can get a read 320x240 mode, at least.

> It
> is possible, however, to write the game for a 320x240 res, and then
> pixel double all the sprites and graphics and such, and then get
> (basically) subpixel accurate graphics due to the fact your actually
> displaying on 640x480. (Im not sure, but I heard Abuse for SDL does
> that)

So does Kobo Deluxe. The graphics engine has 8 fraction bits for all
coordinates, for the motion interpolation, so it's just a matter of using
them. The upcoming native OpenGL mode (without glSDL) will use all of
them, for ultra smooth animation even in lower resolutions.

> Now, of course, if this was a 3D game we were talking about, res doesnt
> matter.

Well, *I'm* talking about fullscreen scrolling 2D games. (3D games aren't
an issue as they need to transform everything anyway. Scaling the view to
whatever resolution is trivial.)

.- Coming soon from VaporWare Inc...------------------------.
| The Return of Audiality! Real, working software. Really!  |
| Real time and off-line synthesis, scripting, MIDI, LGPL...|