[SDL] DirectX 7?

Bob Pendleton bob at pendleton.com
Wed Sep 25 19:21:01 PDT 2002

Vesselin Peev wrote:
>  I wasn't the first to use Windows 95 so this must be true. I must have used
> a slightly later OEM release in early 1996.
> As for the Trio64 I mentioned, I remember going to the driver properties
> page and
> reading that the driver is DirectX 1.0 compliant, but in reality Windows
> must have run
> DirectX 2.

I just went through some old boxes and threw away about 6 copies of the
original GDK disks for Windows 95.

First there was Windows 3.x which no one wrote games for so MS came out
with WinG which everyone tested and most companies and people ignored.
Then came Windows 95 and you still had to kill the GDI and put the
display in some tweaked mode (like ModeX) to do full screen games. So,
MS came out with the GDK and it sort of worked. The GDK begat DirectX
1.0 and the rest, as they say, is history.

		Bob Pendleton

P.S.

I went through some old boxes a few months ago and found about 6 copies
of the original GDK disk and the freeby distribution of NT. Chucked 'em
all.

> Oh, I feel somewhat nostalgic for these times... ;-) but not really. We are
> much better
> now with DX 9 and OpenGL 1.4... and SDL!

+ Bob Pendleton, consultant for hire +
+ Resume: http://www.jump.net/~bobp  +
+ Email:  bob at pendleton.com          +