[SDL] 2D rendering poll, status + addition

David Olofson david.olofson at reologica.se
Wed Sep 25 10:24:00 PDT 2002

On Wednesday 25 September 2002 16:56, Jimmy wrote:
[...]
> For example, 30fps wouldn't be adequate for a heavy arcade game like
> abuse, whereas 30 would be acceptable for an RTS like StarCraft.  In
> both cases (now anyway) 320x240 (or 200) is too low.
> So the answer is... both... depending :).  If a game was forced
> signifigently under 30fps, sacrifice detail like image quality or
> transparencies for resolution.  I can't think of any case in which
> 320x240 is acceptable anymore in modern games.

Right. It's really the last resort, and it's questionable if it's at all
worth the time needed for implementing it. Given software rendering
support, it's "just" a matter of scaling graphics down, but doing it
*nicely* is far from trivial. (One would probably have to use some kind
of adaptive high degree interpolation to avoid just blurring all detail
away.)

> That being said, it's impossible to make a visually competitive pure
> arcade without acceleration, so much of the argument is moot.  (notice
> I said competitive and pure arcade)

Yeah. For actual arcade machines, normal PC games (ie "requires P-II 300
or faster + OpenGL with at least 32 MB VRAM") and games for new (3D)
consoles, software rendering is just not relevant. Well, except for some
procedural texture effects, perhaps.

And of course, for all these personal hobby projects, it's probably
better to pick a tool that delivers useful results with reasonable
development effort, and just focus on the *game*. Spending months
optimizing a software engine that's shot down by the CPU/VRAM bottleneck
anyway just doesn't seem very sensible, IMHO.

//David Olofson --- Programmer, Reologica Instruments AB

.- Coming soon from VaporWare Inc...------------------------.
| The Return of Audiality! Real, working software. Really!  |
| Real time and off-line synthesis, scripting, MIDI, LGPL...|