[SDL] DirectX 7?

Kylotan kylotan at kylotan.eidosnet.co.uk
Tue Sep 24 18:43:01 PDT 2002

Patrick McFarland wrote:
> Um, no, directx is free. You can download it. Many games come with
> the minimum version they need. You cant limit a market using free
> software. (Beer, damnit.)

That's not really the point... Some people distribute their games
online, including professional publishers, and an additional 11.8MB
download will put off many prospective buyers. I'm obviously not talking
about triple A titles here, more like board games, puzzles, simple
shoot-em-ups - the sort of thing SDL is ideal for. As a pertinent
example, take Kobo Deluxe 0.3 for Windows: a very attractive prospect as
a 601k download. Not so attractive as a 12.4MB download when you add in
DirectX 8 (no offense intended, David :)  ). It's going to put a lot of
casual users off your game. Not to mention that many prospective users
of simple games might not have the administrative privileges to upgrade
their version of DirectX. Therefore I think that, if SDL is to remain an
attractive platform for development of simple 2D games playable on
almost any computer, the ability to choose DirectX 5 rather than 8 will
be helpful.

--
Kylotan
http://pages.eidosnet.co.uk/kylotan