[SDL] overlay and harware

Sam Lantinga slouken at devolution.com
Tue Sep 17 09:05:01 PDT 2002

> Hi,

> I wonder if the SDL_Overlay created by SDL_CreateYUVOverlay can actually be
> hardware accelerated ?
> With hardware-accelerated,  i am talking about YUV2RGB capabilities that the
> video card may have. I wonder if the SDL dx5 driver does use it when it's
> available.
> According to some benchmark i did, it seems the dx5 driver of SDL doesn't
> use it while using DirectX (8.1 SDK) natively seems about twice faster.
> So does SDL use it or not?.Can SDL use some MMX routines for such a task?

Check the hardware accelerated flag in the returned overlay.
SDL does use hardware accelerated YUV -> RGB conversion, if available.
However, it uses the DirectX 5-7 API, and DirectX 8 may have a faster
path through the driver.  SDL also has MMX routines which it uses if
hardware acceleration isn't available.

See ya,