[SDL] keyboard Bug with SDLK_UP and 2 others keys ?

Jimmy jimmy at jimmysworld.org
Mon Sep 16 11:53:01 PDT 2002

On Mon, 2002-09-16 at 04:48, Sam Lantinga wrote:
> > Hi,
>
> > I did find a problem with SDLK_UP and OpenGL.
>
> > If you push at the same time (about 5 seconds):
> > SDLK_UP/SDLK_RIGHT/SDLK_LEFT, you will loose some frame, but with:
> > SDLK_DOWN/SDLK_RIGHT/SDLK_LEFT or others keys, this problem will not be !!
> > I think SDLK_UP is broken
>
> It actually sounds like a limitation of your keyboard.  Many keyboards
> support pressing some combinations of keys together but not other combinations.
> It may be that your keyboard is emulating multiple key press in that situation
> by spamming the operating system with keyboard interrupts, which might cause
> framerate reduction.
>
> That's my theory, anyway. :)
>
> See ya,
> 	-Sam Lantinga, Software Engineer, Blizzard Entertainment

Just my 2 cents here, but I think Sam is right.  I remember exactly this
happening back in the DOS days when I was writing a handler for the
keyboard.

My keyboard back in the day would allow 3 keys at once, the fourth would
'unpress' the first three and start repeating on the fourth, then no
further presses would be accepted until all of the originals were
released.