[SDL] SDL/OpenGL and texture mapping.

paul at theV.net paul at theV.net
Tue Sep 10 22:15:01 PDT 2002

My guess the problem of using surfaces returned by SDL_LoadBMP()
or IMG_Load() as GL texture source is mainly something to do with
different surface encoding format. SDL may not return the ideal
RGB or RGBA format that GL expects. It is the same reason why a
SDL_DisplayFormat() or SDL_DisplayFormatAlpha() would speed up
blitting to the main screen surface. I am not very sure after you
enable OpenGL with SDL, SDL_DisplayFormat() will do the right
conversion work to ease texture loading for you... can somebody
verify and confirm this?

But from what David Olofson has also done in his glSDL
implementation, he is also creating a proper RGB/RGBA surface and
blit image over before feeding it as texture.

Alpha channel or not seems to be different issue here.

Regards,
.paul.