[SDL] (ATTN Sam Lantinga) Select Xinerama-screen?

Per Wigren wigren at home.se
Wed Sep 25 17:20:01 PDT 2002

On Monday, September 9, 2002, at 03:56 PM, Arne wrote:

>> My suspicion is that in 10.2, the backbuffer is transferred to the
>> screen via busmaster DMA, but that operation is asynchronous and
>> doesn't block - hence you can draw into the window buffer again
>> before the DMA transfer is complete. If this is a case, putting a
>> small SDL_Delay() call after SDL_Flip() (for the time being) will
>> give the graphics hardware time to play catch up.
>
> Maybe this is an Quartz extreme sideeffect?

I've seen the same effect with QE disabled, so I find this unlikely.
More likely is that 10.2 has added DMA support for the gfx hardware.

> Could be a problem while passing the window to OpenGl (that's what
> they are doing as I've heard).

We don't actually pass the window to OpenGL - QE is completely
transparent to SDL. But there may be some required locking/unlocking of
the window buffer now that dma is used.

> Anyone tried to disable Quartz extreme, yet? (I dunno how, but maybe
> this fixes the problem).

As root, edit
/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Frameworks/
CoreGraphics.framework/Resources/Configuration.plist.

Change IOAGPDevice to IOPCIDevice to enable/disable. You'll have to
logout for the change to take effect.

-D