[SDL] SDL_net and socketpair

Warren Young warren at etr-usa.com
Fri Sep 6 08:04:00 PDT 2002

José Luis Sánchez wrote:

>>I can socketpair(), fork() and then send() and recv() data back and forth
>>between parent and child.
>
> This is the reason socketpair has sense only under Unix platforms.  Windows
> doesn't support fork.

True, if you ignore the way fork() has been faked on Windows.  (See my
earlier post.)

However, Windows does support passing file/socket handles under limited
circumstances.  See my FAQ, link below.  In particular, the "Passing
Sockets Between Processes" article and the Unix compatibility article on
the equivalence of file and socket handles.

> Again, if you're concerned about speed (and admitely the Windows TCP stack
> isn't by any means optimized for speed)

The Win9x stacks are quite weak, yes, but the NT-derived stacks manage
to get many things right.  In some cases, they're better than Linux.
(And in others, worse.)  Nothing successful sucks absolutely.
--
= Winsock Programmer's FAQ: http://tangentsoft.net/wskfaq/