[SDL] Compilation error on DirectFB events

Joao Moreira de Sa Coutinho joao at teaser.fr
Wed Sep 4 14:34:00 PDT 2002

Hi Sam,

> > I'm trying to compile the stable SDL 1.2.4 on a RedHat 7.2,
> > and I get the following error :
>
> > SDL_DirectFB_events.c: In function `DirectFB_InitOSKeymap':
> > SDL_DirectFB_events.c:103: `DIKC_A' undeclared (first use in this function)
>
> It sounds like you have an older version of DirectFB.  Did you try
> upgrading that?
>
> See ya,
> 	-Sam Lantinga, Software Engineer, Blizzard Entertainment

Following your suggestion, I investigated the different versions, and I actually
think it's the other way around : SDL 1.2.4 is relying on an older version of
DirectFB.

DirectFB 0.9.10 used to define key codes as DIKC_xx, which is precisely what the
SDL_DirectFB_events.c file in SDL 1.2.4 is using. The newer 0.9.12 defines key
indentifiers as DIKI_xx and key symbols as DIKS_xx, and the DIKC_ constants have
all but disappeared (the news page at www.directfb.org says that 0.9.11
introduced new keyboard handling, that's what tipped me off).

I guess SDL 1.2.4 would have compiled against DirectFB 0.9.10, but I didn't test
it (I'll try that source snapshot from SDL 1.2 unstable).

Cheers,
Joao