[SDL] windows xp and sdl

Neil Griffiths n.griffiths at virgin.net
Tue Sep 3 10:29:01 PDT 2002

Hi Neil,

NB> Video card drivers for the Geforce series of boards aren't written by
NB> Microsoft - they are done by NVIDIA. How is this their fault? I get it...
NB> it's another chance to bash MS. ;-)

In this case though, for once, the MS bashing is kind of deserved. MS
removed hardware OpenGL support from the drivers which shipped with Windows
XP. This is because, of course, they want everyone to use DirectX.
OTOH, you can understand that they don't want to support OpenGL too,
so it DOES make sense. It's not really the job of the Operating System
to support OpenGL - and I doubt anyone can dispute that (though you
can try!).

It wasn't a secret though, I'm quite surprised that people have
mentioned it! Anyway, it can all be fixed by downloading the latest
drivers for your video card (which will have the required hardware
support for OpenGL). Which is good advice 99.9% of the time. :)

Neil.