[SDL] I Need a Game Interpreter

Bob Pendleton bob at pendleton.com
Mon Sep 2 16:58:01 PDT 2002

Matthew Bloch wrote:
> On Monday 02 September 2002 03:13, Robert Clayton wrote:
>
>>I really like Lua.  I'm using it as the scripting embedder for writing
>>events in our games.
>>
>>I understand that the garbage collection method (mark and sweep) isn't
>>great for games, but I really haven't had a problem.
>

>>From experience: don't *ever* use an automatic, garbage-collected runtime for
> a game.  I've spent many painful hours with Ruby trying to stop it from
> messing up my frame rate and only partially succeeded, much as I love the
> language for other jobs.  Once you've built your foundation on such a runtime
> there's very little you can do about it when you notice your game jerks every
> few frames.  Mark and sweep garbage collection involves forgetting about
> memory that you've allocated and every so often traversing an enormous tree
> of pointers to reclaim some memory.  If you don't do it, or delay it much,
> your program will run out of memory.  Do it as often as the language wants,
> and you'll never get a consistent frame rate.  There's also nothing you can
> do to interrupt it-- once the recovery algorithm starts it must run to
> completion or start from scratch.

The simple way around that is to use static allocation. Just
pre-allocate all the structures you are going to use in advance, just
like in C/C++, and you won't every see GC pauses.

After the initialization, do one force the GC to run to clean up the
memory footprint. Then, it you *must* use operations that generate
garbage at runtime monitor the growth of the heap and do a GC when it is
convenient, like when you pop up a dialog.

I've used this approach in Lisp and Java and it works very well. But, it
does require a great deal of discipline while writing the code.

		Bob Pendleton

--
+ Bob Pendleton, consultant for hire +