[SDL] Problem on SPARC Linux

David Hedbor david at hedbor.org
Sun Sep 1 01:22:01 PDT 2002

Hello everyone,

I just received a couple of old (yes, really old :-)
SPARCstations. One is running Debian woody and the other one is
running Solaris. This email refers to the SPARCstation LX running
woody.

Basically, I got an SDL app compiled and it didn't work. Then I tried
a simple SDL test app - testvidinfo and it failed too. I have attached
an strace log that shows the cause - something is trying to allocate a
heck of a lot of memory - like 260MB or so.

It seems like the problem occurs when SDL tries to initialize the
video. Or to be exact, I know it does - I got that from gdb. However
since this machine is so slow and only has 32 MB of RAM, debugging
with gdb is quite painful. Plus, I can't figure out what the problem
is anyway.

I should add that I try to run against a remote X display, since I
lack a Sun monitor and more importantly mouse/kbd.  Also, I have
verified that other X11 programs work (simple stuff like xeyes and
xlogo).

--
[ Below is a random fortune, which is unrelated to the above message. ]
A good scapegoat is hard to find.