[SDL] Multiple Graphic Adapters

Andrew Straw andrew.straw at adelaide.edu.au
Tue Jul 30 20:18:00 PDT 2002

> I want to know if its possible to use SDL with a second (not the
> primary one) graphics adapter, means to have an ordinary desktop
> running (primary adapter) and a second one (TV-OUT) to use with SDL .
> I've found only SDL_inits without the possibility to tell which adapter
> to use. Thanks in advance for any answer

At the moment, what you want is not in the API.  Option 1: Modify SDL to
allow this in the general case in a cross-platform way. I think it would
be not-too-difficult to graft on a bit of new API that allows you to
specify device/screen before/in the call to set_mode.  We would also
want this modification to allow us to use the pseudo-2nd devices offered
by the dual (and triple!) output video cards. I looked into these issues
a little, but don't have the time to do any implementation. My thoughts
are best summed up in a past email to this list, which was in response
to a different question, but I think what I wrote is relevant to your
question: http://www.libsdl.org/pipermail/sdl/2002-July/047186.html

Option 2: If the above is beyond what you're willing or able to do and
if you don't mind creating a personal version of the library that you've
hacked a little bit, it should be fairly easy just to modify your copy
of SDL to open on a device different than the default.

In either case, in X11, you would would set the display to localhost:0.1
for the 2nd device.  (localhost:0.0 would be the 1st.)  I know in Mac OS
X it's also possible, and I assume it's possible in win32.  I can't
remember the window manager/system calls at the moment for any of these
platforms.

I hope this helps!  I would route for the option number 1, because then
we could all use the fruit of your labor!

Cheers!
Andrew
Andrew Straw
Ph.D. student -- Department of Physiology, University of Adelaide,
Australia
Developer -- The Vision Egg -- http://www.visionegg.org/
andrew.straw at adelaide.edu.au