[SDL] SDL_HWSURFACE not returning a hardware surface?

Loren Osborn linux_dr at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 30 17:05:01 PDT 2002

--- Christopher Subich <csubich at subich.com> wrote:
> At 02:39 PM 7/30/02 -0700, you wrote:
>
> >Best Regards,
> >
> >-Loren
>
> Thank you.  I didn't notice that point in any of the
> documentation I read,
> and apparently didn't try hardware mode in
> conjunction with fullscreen.
>
> One more question, until my next -- is
> surface->format->BitsPerPixel
> supposed to return a '1' on a surface created with
> CreateRGBSurface?

Umm... first off surface->format->BitsPerPixel is a
data member, not a function, so technically it doesn't
return anything: It just has a value that you can
access....

surface->format->BitsPerPixel to my knowledge is
supposed to be exactly that Bits Per Pixel... To my
knowledge SDL doesn't support less than 8 bits per
pixel (although I could be mistaken, but I really
doubt it supports monochrome).  The only time when
surface->format->BitsPerPixel could be 1 is if you're
dealing with a (monochrome) bitmap image, which I
don't think SDL supports...

As far as trying to distinguish between the video
surface and another surface, you could compare the
pointer to that of the Video surface (as there is
currently only support for one)...

Does this help?

-Loren