[SDL] An SDL Logo concept to start (was Re: SDL Logo)

Eron Hennessey eronh at nwlink.com
Mon Jul 29 18:28:00 PDT 2002

On Sun, 28 Jul 2002 16:28:53 -0400
"Victor Chow" <elder_mmhs at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> My first post on the mailing list -- hopefully this will work properly.
>
> It seems like several people want a revamped, standardized logo but we
> mainly need ideas to juggle around and reach agreement.  The PDF URL below
> is a concept that I came up with last night after reading about the
> gears/machinery idea.  It is *by no means final* and I'd actually like to
> see it beat around, used as a base to form other concepts, etc.  Just to get
> the wheels turning.

Yah, so far I like this logo idea the best... but I agree that the version # shouldn't be a part of it.  My favorite on the page is the one titled "compact logo" but perhaps without the horizontal line beneath the "SDL".  Also, "powered by" isn't really true, is it?  I mean, whatever game they're playing is really "powered" by the computer's hardware.
You could say "built with" or something like that.

Now, just brainstorming:

Thinking along these lines... SDL is a toolkit, right?  Perhaps a logo depicting some "tools of the trade" (could be any trade).  Anything but a hammer and forge, since that's pretty used by sourceforge.

Or, take into account that SDL encompasses 3D/2D graphics, sound, input, etc.  And, that its primarily used for games... perhaps an old joystick, rendered part wireframe, part flat shaded, and part smooth shaded in the box?  The background might have an audio frequency chart?  Perhaps a set of logos, each depicting a different aspect of SDL?

And of course, now that I've said that, Notice that most well-known logos are VERY simple in design.  Take these, for instance (whether you love them or hate them, they are instantly recognizeable!).  Each is very distinctive, and looks good in any number of colors > 2:

http://www.debian.org/logos/openlogo-nd-50.png
http://www.blackisle.com/images/logo_small.jpg
http://www.blizzard.com/images/blizz-logo.gif
http://www.coca-cola.com/_media/index/leftcorner_logo.gif
http://www.surreal.com/Surreal%20Foot.htm

Hehe, the last one is my favorite.  Looks cool animated too.  ;)

There are thousands more, but of course they all have something in common, eh?  And that's simplicity... and since the first letter in SDL *represents* simplicity... perhaps it would be best served by a simple logo?

- Eron