[SDL] SDL_BlitSurface and getpixel(): Windows Vs Linux

George clairv at mailbox.gr
Mon Jul 29 18:26:01 PDT 2002

I've been writting some tests apps using SDL for the last couple of months.
Being a linux and windows user, I test my applications at both OSes. My
results confuse me a little. You see, the source code remains the same (since
SDL is portable), however speed varies a lot between the Operating Systems.
Here are some of my results ::

Mandrake 8.2 with nvidia 2960 drivers
	getpixels test -> time needed = 8 seconds
	SDL_Blit test -> speed = almost good (constant at window/fullscreen mode!)

Windows ME with nvidia 29.42 drivers + direct X 8.1
	getpixels test -> not tested
	SDL_Blit test -> speed = unbelievably SLOW

Windows XP with nvidia 29.42 drivers + direct X 8.1
	getpixels test -> time needed = 22 seconds !!!
	SDL_Blit test -> speed = almost good (at window mode)
			 	SUPERFAST at fullscreen mode

Considering the source code doesn't change at all, could there be a
logical explenation of this speed variation?

---