[SDL] An SDL Logo concept to start (was Re: SDL Logo)

Joseph Carter knghtbrd at bluecherry.net
Sun Jul 28 15:42:01 PDT 2002

On Sun, Jul 28, 2002 at 04:28:53PM -0400, Victor Chow wrote:
> It seems like several people want a revamped, standardized logo but we
> mainly need ideas to juggle around and reach agreement.  The PDF URL below
> is a concept that I came up with last night after reading about the
> gears/machinery idea.  It is *by no means final* and I'd actually like to
> see it beat around, used as a base to form other concepts, etc.  Just to
> get the wheels turning.
>
> http://members.rogers.com/victorchow/temp/sdl-full.pdf (62KB)

Whether or not I like the idea, I must immediately comment that these are
logos!  In as little as two colors, you can render your base logo.  WHile
you did not add shading or other high-color effects, you could have
without much problem.  One you left out though was a color logo on black
and some sort of framed logo for web pages and the like which are neither
white nor black.

I do not think the version number need be mentioned, and in fact probably
should not be used unless it were simply 1.2, new patchlevels are released
too often for it otherwise.  Also, the gears don't work well when rendered
very small.  The font is nice, but might need to be broader and bolder so
that when it is crunched down to the corner of a 640x480 screen it's still
clean and clear.  (Please note that as truetype fonts go, I'm a big fan of
Verdana because of how well it works at very low or very high resolutions,
interlaced or not, etc..  It's hard to get that in a single rendered image
but if it can be gotten, we should try..)

I have no interest in worrying about whether or not there's some special
flashy version for OpenGL or not.  It's just not a concern.  As long as we
have something that works, us OpenGL people can make it pretty for our own
games or keep it simple if we'd prefer.

--
Joseph Carter <knghtbrd at bluecherry.net>          You want fries with that?

<elmo> unclean: err, the admin team do not control the archive, that's the
       ftp cabal
<elmo> get your cabals right, damn it :-P