[SDL] Commercial games and SDL

simon simon at tanygrisiau.com
Thu Jul 25 16:11:06 PDT 2002

At 13:50 25/07/02 -0700, you wrote:
>I've been reading the licensing info on the use of SDL and intend on using
>it in an upcoming commerical game. I'm moderately confused by the
>licensing. If I read things correctly, I need to include object files so
>the end user can relink the application with a different/newer version of
>SDL. But later it states that the most common way to be compliant is to
>dynamically link to SDL (ala .DLL in my case) and include the sources to
>SDL. Does this mean that if I have SDL as a separate .DLL and don't
>release objects/source code to my game that that would be compliant as
>well?

You got it, all you need to do is dynamically link to SDL (ala .dll) and
then provide the source for SDL (that you use) on your website or
distribution method (CD/Download zip from site) and you will be compliant
with the LGPL. I am unsure as to if linking to libsdl.org is enough, maybe
someone could fill us in on this?

>Including the sources to the version of SDL that I link with is a given.

Its a must for LGPL :)

>I also would like to promote SDL via a logo or something on the splash
>screen when the game starts. Is there an official logo I should use for
>this?

As said in previous post, you could use the SDL logo on the libsdl.org
website.  A good splash logo was talked about along time ago but nobody
ever got round to doing one.  If you do, please submit it :)

>And I definitely will be donating to the SDL cause once the game ships.

Now thats a good idea.  Always support your base :)  Just the website
hosting costs money and we all thank Sam for what he has done so far and
everyone else who has submitted bugs/patches/improvements/documentation.

>Thanks everyone!
>-->Neil

Well, we also thank you for supporting SDL.  The more that use SDL, the
more SDL will be used.  The more SDL is used, the better it becomes.

Take care,

Si.