[SDL] Linking with Nvidia OpenGL libs (was RE: [SDL] NVIDIA & SDL_GL_SwapBuffers)

Joseph Carter knghtbrd at bluecherry.net
Thu Jul 25 13:35:01 PDT 2002

On Thu, Jul 25, 2002 at 05:12:16PM +0200, Patrice Mandin wrote:
> > Ldd output does not list libGL (wish I had thought to look at that) for
> > the apps which fail to work.
>
> Speaking of ldd, when I build a program using OpenGL, ldd outputs
> libGL.so and libGLcore.so as linked to the program. I suppose that
> running a program linked this way will not work with Mesa or other OpenGL
> implementation.

Correct.  NVIDIA has fixed this in newer driver releases.  Upgrading is
one option.

> So, must I build my program against Mesa include and libs, and I will be
> sure it runs with NVidia OpenGL libs, or is there another way ?

That is another option.

A third is to dig up my DynGL 3 stuff and bind OpenGL at runtime.  It was
designed to fix these kinds of problems.  Of course, it comes at a cost,
namely that my programs have two dozen or so function pointers for OpenGL
functions.  Yours may have more or less.

> I am also thinking about the way it is done in Windows, where the OpenGL
> library is dynamically loaded. It may be nice to do it also in
> Linux, because esd and arts support can be built this way.

DynGL is known to work in Win32, Linux, and MacOS X (though SDL does not
let you choose your driver under MacOS X as it does elsewhere..)

--
Joseph Carter <knghtbrd at bluecherry.net>                    Not many fishes

<Knghtbrd> JHM: I'm not putting quake in the kernel source
<Knghtbrd> but we should put quake in the boot floppies to one-up
           Caldera's tetris game..  ;>