[SDL] NVIDIA & SDL_GL_SwapBuffers

Joseph Carter knghtbrd at bluecherry.net
Wed Jul 24 19:06:00 PDT 2002

On Wed, Jul 24, 2002 at 07:53:42PM -0500, Bart wrote:
> Ldd output does not list libGL (wish I had thought to look at that) for
> the apps which fail to work.
>
> Furthermore, from what I can tell normal precompiled opengl apps/games
> work just fine as well as any app I compile which uses glut to handle
> the windowing/surface creation even if it uses SDL for other things. ( I
> did some deeper research after you tipped me to the build environment ).

rm /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.a

Bet this fixes your problem, too.  Distributions should NEVER ship static
libGL.a, and if they do ship it, it absolutely should NOT be in /usr/X11R6
according to the Linux OpenGL ABI standard.  Individual distributions seem
to be unwilling or unable to read or follow the ABI standard.  Concerns
about including basically useless static libs and more importantly about
putting them in the wrong directory, as usual, fall on deaf ears.

Basically, the people who handle OpenGL libraries for the various dists
are all morons.  That's a hostile attitude to take, but they are breaking
things intentionally, they know it, and they don't give a damn.  I wrote
DynGL 3 the way I did so it could be used by anybody in any project
specifically to help combat stupidity in vendors' treatment of OpenGL
libraries.  I have maintained that I'm not just referring to Microsoft and
have taken some flack for accusing Linux distributions of being no more
intelligent about it than the boys in Redmond.  I'm right, however, and
you've just found (more) proof of it.

--
Joseph Carter <knghtbrd at bluecherry.net>      Intelligent backside at large

<Teknix> our local telco has admitted that someone "backed into a
         button on a switch" and took the entire ATM network down
<netgod> hopefully now routers are designed better, so the "network
         off" swtich is on the back