[SDL] single pixel drawing

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Thu Jul 18 18:18:01 PDT 2002

On Thu, Jul 18, 2002 at 04:05:14PM -0700, Neil Bradley wrote:
> In this specific case I'd agree with you (but your numbers are off by
> quite a bit since the multiply/shift isn't the only thing going on), but
> the general attitude of people is to forget about optimization of all
> forms because they are too lazy to do otherwise. The amount of time I
> spend in the embedded world having to undo someone else's lousy designs
> are too numerous to mention.  I'm just happy that it's even being

Optimization and good design are completely separate issues. (Remember
"Premature optimization is the root of all evil.")

Modern CPUs are very very fast, and one of the things that buys us is the
ability to make software more easy to read and understand -- and program --
instead of slaving over tweaking the algorithm to be the most optimal. This
isn't laziness (at least not necessarily). As you say, there's no need to
conserve -- and you're exactly right. In most cases, there's *no need*.