[SDL] single pixel drawing

Neil Bradley nb at synthcom.com
Thu Jul 18 15:54:01 PDT 2002

> So, at 1000 megahertz 300 cycles is 0.0000003 seconds. That's how much
> you might save wow, remind me to waste hours arguing about how to save
> 0.0000003 seconds again. Life is too short to be worrying about
> 0.0000003 seconds. Get some perspective people.

In this specific case I'd agree with you (but your numbers are off by
quite a bit since the multiply/shift isn't the only thing going on), but
the general attitude of people is to forget about optimization of all
forms because they are too lazy to do otherwise. The amount of time I
spend in the embedded world having to undo someone else's lousy designs
are too numerous to mention.  I'm just happy that it's even being
discussed, because that means people are thinking about it. Having CPUs as
fast as we do now have just made people who couldn't normally be
programmers become "programmers", and we wind up with taking computing
back 10 years with the likes of interpreted Java and Visual Basic. This is
why OSes take eons to load up. This is why apps are big, bloated pieces of
garbage. No one needs to conserve.

It takes negligible extra time to be smart about programming, and the
attitude portrayed above is just one of many that contribute to the horrid
computing experiences on all platforms.

That being said, I'm quite happy with SDL and its performance. I switched
from using DirectX to using SDL, and I'm happy to say the performance
"degradation" was almost immeasurable. Not an easy feat for a cross
platform library!

-->Neil

Neil Bradley            What are burger lovers saying
Synthcom Systems, Inc.  about the new BK Back Porch Griller?
ICQ #29402898	        "It tastes like it came off the back porch." - Me