[SDL] Re: [SMPEG] dither mode

Daniel Neville bmange at airdmhor.gen.nz
Thu Jul 11 05:21:01 PDT 2002

Alexis wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to play mpeg at a reasonnable fps on *slow* PCs with SMPEG.
> On such machines, i'd like to use a 256 palette to speed up display (some of
> them can not even handle more than 256 colors ).
> I know the original mpeg_play for Berkeley does support dither modes, does
> SMPEG support it either?

I would imagine the most practical way would be to get SMPEG to output its
data into a YCrCb format buffer (save time on the YCrCb-RGB conversion)
and dither to a paletted display yourself. Use a 4:2:2 YUV palette.

If you can get SMPEG to about the YUV data in 4:1:1 pixel format,
that'll be great.

Not that I know anything about SMPEG itself :)

Cheers.