[SDL] I need input for an article on SDL

jvalenzu at icculus.org jvalenzu at icculus.org
Wed Jul 10 21:44:00 PDT 2002

Joseph Carter writes:
 > OpenAL is a standard developed behind closed doors with little
 > documentation and basically no serious interest in Linux at all.  Oh sure
 > it runs there, but this only marginally significant given that there is no
 > real support for any of the 3D sound features in Linux.

I hate pointing it out but gaming on linux is a margin market anyway.
I doubt you're serious about addressing what support for "3D sound
features" but I can say that having a solid software renderer was and
is my goal with the linux reference implementation.

The point I really want to address is the documentation for openal is
freely available, on the web and in cvs.  If you gave it even a
cursory look you'd have to concede that it complete and thorough.

 > And let's not even discuss the braindamaged extensions in the Linux
 > reference implementation like incorporating mp3/vorbis libraries, courtesy
 > of Loki.

No, lets.  I'm responsible for the extensions, not Loki, and I'm
fascinating to hear what second guessing you have for them.  If my
suspicion is correct you are as uninformed on this subject as the
library in general.

--
jv