[SDL] NVIDIA & SDL_GL_SwapBuffers

wyatbar at iit.edu wyatbar at iit.edu
Tue Jul 23 12:38:01 PDT 2002

On Wed, 2002-07-10 at 16:06, Joseph Carter wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 10, 2002 at 01:39:28PM -0500, DrEvil wrote:
> > I don't agree with this at all. If you were following the OpenAL devel
> > list you'd see that some big name gaming houses having chosen to use it
> > for their games. For example, Epic is using OpenAL for Unreal Tournament
> > 2003 and they have obtained Dolby 5.1 certification from Dolby Labs. I'd
> > say that's quite an accomplishment when using a "DOA" 3D Audio
> > Library...
>
> And we'll see a Linux version of that when?
>
> OpenAL is a standard developed behind closed doors with little
> documentation and basically no serious interest in Linux at all.  Oh sure
> it runs there, but this only marginally significant given that there is no
> real support for any of the 3D sound features in Linux.

This is more the fault of the situation of Audio under Linux then of
OpenAL to a certain extent IMO. However, Creative is committed to
ensuring that the API's don't differ as much as you think they do. They
have been trying to work with people on "both sides" to ensure that this
does not happen.

Anyway, this is offtopic, reply directly to me if you wish to continue
this discussion.