[SDL] I need input for an article on SDL

Joseph Carter knghtbrd at bluecherry.net
Wed Jul 10 14:07:01 PDT 2002

On Wed, Jul 10, 2002 at 01:39:28PM -0500, DrEvil wrote:
> > I'm beginning to think John's gonna need to write a second edition at this
> > rate.  Besides the half-dozen buglets in the book (bet John knows exactly
> > where each of them is right now and has a d'oh for each), the book doesn't
> > cover things like autoconf.  Additionally, OpenAL is basically DOA.  It's
> > got positively no real force behind it anymore.
>
> I don't agree with this at all. If you were following the OpenAL devel
> list you'd see that some big name gaming houses having chosen to use it
> for their games. For example, Epic is using OpenAL for Unreal Tournament
> 2003 and they have obtained Dolby 5.1 certification from Dolby Labs. I'd
> say that's quite an accomplishment when using a "DOA" 3D Audio
> Library...

And we'll see a Linux version of that when?

OpenAL is a standard developed behind closed doors with little
documentation and basically no serious interest in Linux at all.  Oh sure
it runs there, but this only marginally significant given that there is no
real support for any of the 3D sound features in Linux.

And let's not even discuss the braindamaged extensions in the Linux
reference implementation like incorporating mp3/vorbis libraries, courtesy
of Loki.

--
Joseph Carter <knghtbrd at bluecherry.net>         <-- That boy needs therapy

<Mercury> emacs sucks, literally, not a insult, just a comment that its
          large enough to have a noticeable gravitational pull...