[SDL] I need input for an article on SDL

Joseph Carter knghtbrd at bluecherry.net
Wed Jul 10 11:31:01 PDT 2002

On Wed, Jul 10, 2002 at 12:07:10PM -0500, DrEvil wrote:
> > I've started writing on article about the benefits of using SDL for game
> > programming. Please send me your personal experiences, and opinions, on
> > the value of SDL. If you tried SDL and decided that is wasn't a good
> > choice, please tell me about it. I want to write a balanced, honest,
> > article about the value of SDL.
>
> I would highly suggest you pick up a copy of "Programming Linux Games"
> by John Hall. Find out more at http://www.nostarch.com/plg.htm it has a
> lot of good information about SDL you could use.

I'm beginning to think John's gonna need to write a second edition at this
rate.  Besides the half-dozen buglets in the book (bet John knows exactly
where each of them is right now and has a d'oh for each), the book doesn't
cover things like autoconf.  Additionally, OpenAL is basically DOA.  It's
got positively no real force behind it anymore.

Other APIs have sprung up or been changed since the book was written too,
which will probably change how some things mentioned in the book are best
done.

--
Joseph Carter <knghtbrd at bluecherry.net>       Now I'll take over the world

<JHM> Being overloaded is the sign of a true Debian maintainer.