[SDL] yet more glmovie

Gib Bogle bogle at ihug.co.nz
Tue Jul 9 16:57:00 PDT 2002

> Message: 2
> To: sdl at libsdl.org
> Subject: Re: [SDL] yet more glmovie
> From: Sam Lantinga <slouken at devolution.com>
> Date: Mon, 08 Jul 2002 12:43:30 -0700
>
> > > I'd appreciate some help from someone who knows more (i.e. anything)
> > > about OpenGL (and SDL).  I would have thought that in the callback case
> > > it is still true that the OpenGL calls are made in the same thread (the
> > > main thread) where SDL video was initialized, and therefore we shouldn't
> > > be running into thread-related problems.
>
> > I'll take a look when I get back home, but that will be a few days. Thank
> > you for all your effort to research this, btw.
>
> Yes, thank you very much.
> Can you send an updated version of glmovie.c (and any changed smpeg files)
> to the SDL mailing list?  It sounds like the basic problem was that glmovie
> was trying to do OpenGL calls from a different thread, which is a no no.
>
> Thanks!
>         -Sam Lantinga, Software Engineer, Blizzard Entertainment

Sam,

As you may have already discovered, the new nVidia driver fixed the
problem, and glmovie.c works as written.  The only catch is that I
haven't managed to get sound to work on my system under Linux (onboard
CMI8738), and unless I disable sound in glmovie it doesn't play the
video.  I do that with the line

    SMPEG_enableaudio ( mpeg, 0 );
before
    SMPEG_setdisplay(...);

My guess is that glTexSubImage2D() in the earlier driver was faulty.

Gib