[SDL] Fwd: How to retain RGBA when copying an SDL Surface

Dominique Louis Dominique at SavageSoftware.com.au
Mon Jul 22 14:27:00 PDT 2002

Joseph Carter wrote:

>On Tue, Jul 09, 2002 at 01:12:22AM -0400, Ryan C. Gordon wrote:
>

>>>I wish to protest in the name of the owners of the really old cards
>>>without new drivers (in my case -- 3dfx Voodo3 with the best *3rd party*
>>>drivers I could find)!!!
>>>This doesn't work on my computer, and since 3dfx is gone and there
>>>probably won't be new drivers. WHAT SHOULD I DO???
>>>

>>Buy new hardware?
>>
>>/me runs.
>>

>Actually Ryan, there's not much else he can do.

Yes there is, in fact.
After some experiments, I've managed to get glMovie to run just fine on
my computer.
It was done by [1] making all the textures (and also drawing surface)
24bpp (RBG) instead of 32bpp (RGBA), and [2] by calling glmovie_draw
from the main loop (and the SMPEG thread only calls a procedure that
updates a flag to signal that a frame has changed, so that the main
thread will know to redraw).
Does this tells you something about the problem there was?

>The 3dfx cards are abandoned.  If the company goes under and there are no
>new drivers, you cannot expect everyone else to perpetually support the
>lame limitations and outright bugs of your hardware.
>
>I just found on PriceWatch a GeForce2 MX200 (three times the card of that
>Voodoo3) for US$33+S&H.  Now as graphics cards go, that's pretty cheap,
>and the drivers are still being updated for it today.  Even on my crappy
>income I can afford that!

GF2 MX is a relatively old card. I'd much rather way a get at least a GF3.

Btw, 33 US$ includes shipping where?

RK.