[SDL] message handling in a seperate thread

Andy Livingstone andyliv at connectfree.co.uk
Sun Jul 21 02:27:01 PDT 2002

On Sat, Jul 06, 2002 at 12:22:48PM -0700, nbs wrote:
> Hi, someone just e-mailed me saying they couldn't compile one of my SDL apps.
> It looks like an sdl-config flavored issue:
>
> cc -O2 -Wall -I/usr/include/SDL -D_REENTRANT
> -DDATA_PREFIX=\"/usr/local/share/tuxpaint/\" -o tuxpaint tuxpaint.o -L/usr/lib
> -lSDL -lpthread -lm -lasound -L/usr/lib -ldl -lartsc -lpthread -L/usr/lib -lesd-laudiofile -lm -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lX11 -lXext -lXxf86vm -lXxf86dga -lXv
> -lXinerama -ldl -lSDL_image -lSDL_mixer
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lasound
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make: *** [tuxpaint] Erreur 1
>

> Look familiar to anyone?  In the meantime, I'll ask them how they installed
> SDL/etc.  (I _think_ they installed them from RPMs)

Yes, this happens when SDL is linked to asound but alsa-devel or
libasound-dev or whatever it's called on that dist.  If the package for
SDL has dependencies for its devel package (it should unless we're talking
Slackware here), it should have the appropriate dependency data.

Debian gets around this problem by building libsdl1.2-dev from the
libsdl1.2-oss package, which has dependency only on X11.

--
Joseph Carter <knghtbrd at bluecherry.net>              glDisable (DX8_CRAP);

<datazone> exarkun: i am going to tell you my secret now
<datazone> "i see dead processess"