[SDL] CodeWarrior 7 for Windows...Again!

Mahmoud Al Gammal obos at menanet.net
Sat Jul 20 08:23:00 PDT 2002

On Thu, 2002-07-04 at 12:35, David Olofson wrote:
> On 04/07/2002 11:20:38 , Jimmy <jimmy at jimmysworld.org> wrote:
> [...]
>
> Urgh... I'd say an event thread and an sfifo is *much* cleaner than
> interleaving/cooperative multitasking ever could be.

Well, it's always good to re-evaluate old decisions, I guess. :)

> Also note that interleaving won't work with indirect rendering
> systems, such as OpenGL (and thus, glSDL). If you run a reasonably
> fast 2D game on a h/w accelerated retrace syncing display, your
> main loop will spend most of the time in SDL_Flip() waiting for the
> retrace. That is, you won't have the CPU more than a fraction of
> each frame, so you'll have practically the same event timing
> issues as if you didn't try to timestamp.

Indeed

> As for the issues with threading, the sfifo would take care of that
> completely. You wouldn't see more of the threading mess than if it
> had been SDL or the OS doing the timestamping. Here's about what

[...]

I'm just loath to add another layer into the event handling.  I've
already converted the SDL events to mix with other in game events all in
pure C++, adding yet another layer of processing between SDL and the
native wrapping feels wrong somehow.  And adding threading to the Event
scheme at the application level would require some serious rewriting
that I'm really not interested in doing.

Anyway, good suggestions/points all around.  Thanks.