[SDL] Question about texture size

Joseph Carter knghtbrd at bluecherry.net
Thu Jul 4 13:09:00 PDT 2002

On Thu, Jul 04, 2002 at 07:45:42PM +0200, Martijn Melenhorst (Prive) wrote:
> I am writing this 2D-platform game using OpenGL and stuff, and I want to
> store all 'tiles' to be 'blitted' onto the screen into one big texture.
> This way I can use only one texture while drawing the game's background
> which should be really fast. So far, the theory. Now, the question:
>
> I am thinking about using a 2048x64 or something as this texture, and I
> know that the later graphic cards (like TNT 2, GeForce etc.) will
> support this texture size, but Voodoo 1, 2 and 3 will not. So I would
> render these cards useless. Does someone have a though regarding a good
> average texture size to use to keep maximum compatibility? (256x256,
> which is the max of Voodoo as far as I know, will not work for me, I
> *do* need a bigger texture for this.

Everything but the early 3dfx cards supports 2048x2048.  If you don't care
to support these cards (specifically 3dfx < Voodoo4 in Linux and < Voodoo3
in win32) then you're all set.

Otherwise you'll need more than one texture.  Note, texture changes are
pretty fast once the textures themselves are resident.  If you have more
textures than will fit resident, things get interesting.

--
Joseph Carter <knghtbrd at bluecherry.net>                    Not many fishes

<Mercury> LordHavoc: The reason why GL has overdraw is because it is only
          using HALF of the system they designed for vis.
<Mercury> LordHavoc: Shooting itself in the foot.
* Dabb looks at all those bullet holes in his shoes - damn, lots :)