[SDL] MacOS X Joystick Init Failure

Screwtape st at ferd2.thristian.org
Tue Jul 16 10:29:01 PDT 2002

On Tue, 2/07/2002 17:24:27 , Andrew Ford <andrewhford at yahoo.com> wrote:
>--- David Olofson <david.olofson at reologica.se> wrote:
>> bzip2? :-)
>
>Bit slow for general file-access isn't it?  Even the
>quake pak files are stored as uncompressed zips.

Doesn't matter much when the whole archive is less than 10 kB compressed. :-)

>> Either way, I don't think glSDL has much to do with
>> this GUI toolkit thing. It's either raw SDL 2D (and
>> some nice s/w rendering code...) or native OpenGL,
>> IMHO.
>>

>My preferred solution for paragui in OpenGL contexts
>would be to have a seperate build of the library (i.e.
>no fallback to 2D), and use native OpenGL.  After all,
>when the user is making a 3D app, there isn't much
>sense in falling back to 2D and trying to fake out the
>user.

Then, what about applications that should work with or without OpenGL?

> glSDL, or at least parts of it, would come in
>for internal library use, so that the 2D code in
>paragui thinks it's still dealing with regular 2D SDL
>and doesn't have to be rewritten.  If we scavenged
>parts of the glSDL code, I'm sure we could have a
>native OpenGL renderer up fairly easily, since glSDL
>has to do most of what's required I'm guessing.

Well, it handles tiling of large textures and that sort of stuff...
Works for SFont surfaces, but someone (me!? ;-) has to implement
2D tiling as well, to handle surfaces that are too tall *and* too
high for the OpenGL setup at hand.

BTW, I'm working some on glSDL-0.4 now. Implemented blits from
and within the screen, and locking/direct rendering emulation,
but it isn't working properly yet.

Speaking of which, I'm considering a "Dual Rendering" mode for
applications that for some strange reason can't stay away from
reading the screen. The idea is basically to s/w render into
the screen shadow surface in parallel with the OpenGL rendering,
instead of using glReadPixels(). It would be very inefficient
compared to applications doing things the right way, but I'm
quite sure it can be a *lot* faster than reading the whole
OpenGL screen every time the screen surface is locked...

Another idea is to *automatically* activate Dual Rendering for
applications that do these OpenGL unfriendly things (like
locking the screen.) Just activate it as soon as a "violation"
is detected, and disable it again if no further nasty
operations are performed for a certain number of frames.

//David

`-----> We Make Rheology Real