[SDL] stable SDL GUI

David Olofson david.olofson at reologica.se
Tue Jul 2 16:23:00 PDT 2002

On Tue, 2/07/2002 13:40:07 , Joseph Carter <knghtbrd at bluecherry.net> wrote:
>On Tue, Jul 02, 2002 at 10:16:15PM +0200, David Olofson wrote:
>> > As with other things I
>> >do because I'd rather not see people using the alternatives, I'd probably
>> >BSD license the thing.
>>
>> I'm an LGPL guy. :-)
>
>LGPL is a nifty license, but I like people to be able to static link these
>things into their programs.  If they can't, people developing commercial
>things will shy away from the library.  You know how paranoid I am about
>external dependencies.

Yeah... Still, I'd rather add an exception clause for static linking, than use the BSD license. This lack of a requirement to release the source code of derived works is a bit too liberal for my taste.

>The one library I want to not use, static or otherwise, is zlib.  The code
>is just nasty.  My roommate and I have been talking about replacement zip
>archive code for use in things like zziplib or PhysicsFS and BSDing it, if
>for no other reason than that zlib is basically unreadable.  ;)

bzip2? :-)

Right, WinZip can't read those files, bzip2 doesn't read ZIP archives etc etc - but for the stuff I'm considering using it for, it's perfect. (Some would probably even say it's an advantage that the archives are a little bit hard for the average winuser to mess with.)

>> Well, remains to see how it turns out. They're basically doing a
>> traditional toolkit, but I could probably reuse their portable OpenGL
>> layer, as well as parts of the toolkit. (I'll still need the usual
>> rendering stuff, event handling, etc...)
>
>That's cool given that a traditional toolkit is all I really need.  Though
>I'd still prefer it to work with or without OpenGL.

So would I. OpenGL is important as the chrome audio people have gotten used to these days is getting too expensive with software rendering - but applications should at least *run* without OpenGL.

> Not so much for
>myself necessarily - I only spent 30 minutes or so looking at glSDL, after
>all.

Either way, I don't think glSDL has much to do with this GUI toolkit thing. It's either raw SDL 2D (and some nice s/w rendering code...) or native OpenGL, IMHO.

> You know me, I don't blit surfaces, I emit meshes; I don't draw
>tiles, I batch polygons; etc..  =)

When it comes to 2D games, I actually prefer thinking of sprites and tiles at a much higher level than blits. As you can see in Kobo Deluxe, there are quite a few layers between the game logic and the actual rendering - some of which will eventually get native OpenGL alternatives. Sub-pixel accurate rendering, even for the tiled backgrounds. :-)

//David

`-----> We Make Rheology Real