[SDL] stable SDL GUI

Joseph Carter knghtbrd at bluecherry.net
Tue Jul 2 13:42:01 PDT 2002

On Tue, Jul 02, 2002 at 10:16:15PM +0200, David Olofson wrote:
> > As with other things I
> >do because I'd rather not see people using the alternatives, I'd probably
> >BSD license the thing.
>
> I'm an LGPL guy. :-)

LGPL is a nifty license, but I like people to be able to static link these
things into their programs.  If they can't, people developing commercial
things will shy away from the library.  You know how paranoid I am about
external dependencies.

The one library I want to not use, static or otherwise, is zlib.  The code
is just nasty.  My roommate and I have been talking about replacement zip
archive code for use in things like zziplib or PhysicsFS and BSDing it, if
for no other reason than that zlib is basically unreadable.  ;)

> Well, remains to see how it turns out. They're basically doing a
> traditional toolkit, but I could probably reuse their portable OpenGL
> layer, as well as parts of the toolkit. (I'll still need the usual
> rendering stuff, event handling, etc...)

That's cool given that a traditional toolkit is all I really need.  Though
I'd still prefer it to work with or without OpenGL.  Not so much for
myself necessarily - I only spent 30 minutes or so looking at glSDL, after
all.  You know me, I don't blit surfaces, I emit meshes; I don't draw
tiles, I batch polygons; etc..  =)

--
Joseph Carter <knghtbrd at bluecherry.net>          If this sig were funny...

Reading computer manuals without the hardware is as frustrating as reading
sex manuals without the software.
        - Arthur C Clarke