[SDL] Precompiled binaries for Win32?

Hongli Lai h.lai at chello.nl
Tue Jul 16 02:26:01 PDT 2002

On Tue, 02/07/2002 08:55:00 , rgc <rgc at localhost.localdomain> wrote:
[...]
>game loop then there was no latency.

*No* latency? That I'd like to see... ;-)

>I believe the SDL_Delay() call schedules cpu time to the threads that are
>executing the audio, which they don't get if the app is running full speed.
>Does this sound accurate?

Well, sort of. The threads involved will get the time they need, or you get very audible drop-outs, but yes, an audio daemon setup may allow the buffering to "flex" a lot. This most probably happens in the communication between application and sound daemon, since there is a large amount of available buffer space.

There isn't much room for this kind of "flexing" when you talk directly to the audio driver, part because of smaller total buffer size, part because buffers are read and written in rather large fragments, tying the timing of the application closer to the driver "heartbeat".

//David

`-----> We Make Rheology Real